Maersk Decom – the dedicated decommissioning partner for the offshore energy industry
Maersk Decom is uniquely placed to help the offshore energy industry execute decommissioning while building a strategic decommissioning capability. As our name indicates, decommissioning is our core business. We provide scalable solutions using innovative methods and commercial models.
We are a dedicated team of experts in the field who are committed to constant improvement – incorporating learnings from every project we work on into the project at hand. We address key issues such as predictability of costs, risk, compliance, sustainability and reputation.
We draw upon more than 50 years of experience and assets from the offshore support vessel and drilling industries and we deliver it all as one integrated team including project management and engineering.
Our aspiration is to ensure no resource wasted. To achieve this, we share a vision of constantly rethinking decommissioning to maximise value and sustainability.
Supplying the world with the energy it needs demands efficiency from start to finish. We believe responsibly handling end-of-life assets is more than a duty – it’s an opportunity.
What we offer
As Legal Counsel at Maersk Decom, you will have an unmatched opportunity to participate in the development of a start-up company in the exciting and rapidly expanding decommissioning industry. Based in our office in Lyngby, just north of Copenhagen, you will be an integral part of a small, highly-qualified team, and will gain a unique understanding of a truly international business.
Professionally, you will have the chance to develop expertise in an evolving area of commercial law, but you will also be able to broaden your practice: the Legal function supports our colleagues on all aspects of Maersk Decom’s business as we work to achieve our ambitious goals.
As a Maersk company, one of our Core Values is “Our Employees”. Our success depends on our employees, and we strive to have a working environment that fosters engagement and motivation for all. We are committed to inclusion: all employees are valued and treated with respect at all times, and we believe our employees thrive and perform better with a healthy work-life balance. We will offer a competitive compensation package (local terms and conditions) based on your experience.
Your responsibilities will include:
- assisting with the preparation and negotiation of tenders for full-scope decommissioning contracts with major international oil companies;
- drafting and negotiating contracts with the partners and subcontractors that Maersk Decom works with to implement its projects;
- understanding and communicating liability and risk profiles across the project portfolio, working closely with our shareholders to ensure they are adequately informed and consulted;
- advising on setting up corporate structures in new areas of operation; and
- assisting with legal compliance matters, refining and developing procedures and processes.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a lawyer with:
- 3 – 5 years’ post-qualification experience from an international law firm; and
- a good knowledge of English commercial law (the governing law of a majority of our contracts).
The ideal candidate would also have:
- a background in international transactional tax advice; and/or
- knowledge of oil and gas law and/or experience with the offshore industry.
As a person you are:
- a commercially-minded high performer who thrives in a challenging and often unpredictable business environment;
- good at focusing on what is important and producing actionable work product, even when faced with complex issues;
- able to handle and prioritise many tasks at the same time, and eager to tackle unfamiliar tasks, while ensuring the smooth running of administrative processes;
- a team player who is self-driven and willing to take individual responsibility;
- able to speak, read and write English fluently
- located in, or willing to relocate to, Denmark, but willing to travel up to 60 days a year.
We encourage you only to include information related to your motivation, education and work experience in your application. Please do not include a photo; details of gender, age or marital status; or any other personal information that does not pertain to the content of the role.
Maersk Decom was created in April 2018 as a 50:50 joint venture between Maersk Drilling and Maersk Supply Service to provide scalable decommissioning solutions to the offshore energy industry. With its decommissioning specialists and direct access to rigs and support vessels, the company offers the full range of decommissioning scopes under flexible commercial models and integrated project management. From baseline surveys and engineering, to plug and abandonment, infrastructure removal, and recycling and waste management, Maersk Decom is committed to constantly rethinking decommissioning to maximise value and sustainability. It aims to ensure no resources – whether it’s people, time or assets – go to waste. For more information visit www.maerskdecom.com